Mandate of the Multilateral Political Directorate I
The Multilateral Political Directorate I is a department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which deals with a wide range of multilateral issues, including peace and security, international terrorism and sustainable development.
It focuses on the United Nations (UN) System, namely:
· UN Principal Organs (General Assembly, Security Council and Economic and Social Council, International Court of Justice etc.)
· UN Subsidiary Bodies (Counter-terrorism committees, etc.)
· Programmes and Funds (UN Development Programme, UN Environment Programme, etc.)
· Functional Commissions (Narcotic Drugs, Status of Women, etc.)
· Specialised Agencies (International Labour Organisation Food and Agriculture Organisation etc.)
The directorate also handles issues pertaining to the Hague-based institutions, as well as the International Criminal Court and the Permanent Court of Arbitration.